Re: Behaviour of OOB in TCP ?

ak@muc.de
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 17:06:47 +0200

On Thu, Apr 29, 1999 at 04:29:51PM +0200, Oren Laadan wrote:
> It seems like the behaviour the TCP stack in Linux broken (or I missed
> something in the RFC). In that case, the fix would naturally be to change
> the code to either (1) work like BSD and remove the byte from the stream
> or (2) keep multiple OOB pointers (which is expensive and complicated).

TCP has no real out-of-band data. It has urgent data. If you see it
as urgent data the Linux behaviour makes sense. I don't think it is
worth the effort to change it to be 100% BSD compatible. The bug is really
that the sockets API maps urgent data to something called out-of-band
data.

I'll document the behaviour in my network man pages.

-Andi