Re: Kernel Improvement

Simon Richter (geier@phobos.fachschaften.tu-muenchen.de)
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 12:16:51 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 29 Apr 1999, Paris Cristiano wrote:

> Final Exam of this course consist in both a practical project and a
> written test. While I don' expect you to help me survive to the
> written test, I'd like you to give me some suggestion and directions
> to develop a kernel improvement project.

You could try making ISA optional, as there are many PCI-only systems out
there already. Also, in some, if not all PCI systems the ISA bus appears
as a PCI device. It would be nice to have this properly reflected (i.e.
don't probe for ISA devices when there is no bus bridge present, unless
requested to do so by a config option, of course) in the kernel.

> The project must refer to kernel 2.2.x and i386 platform.

Try making it multi-platform, I'm having a hard time compiling a m68k
kernel here because other people didn't care. Besides, my Amiga has an ISA
bus, too, and having a driver that is able to recognize an ISA bridge and
utilize the bus would be great (I'm thinking of buying a cheap ET6000/ISA
and using it as my primary graphics adapter).

Simon