Re: 2.2.6-ac2 == 2.2.6-ac3

Matthias Urlichs (smurf@noris.de)
29 Apr 1999 07:14:15 +0200

In dist.linux.kernel, article <925308290.32112@noris.de>,
alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk (Alan Cox) writes:
> Duh kernel.org 8). I'm having a bad day. I'll put it onto linux.org.uk
> next

I'm having a bad day understanding the new TCP local port number allocation
scheme.

The reason this day is bad, as opposed to merely interesting, is (a)
because the code doesn't seem to scale better -- indeed, it doen't scale at
all, i.e. after I open a lot of ports (not even at the same time, I merely
start a WWW mirror, for instance) after a certain point I get a zero back
from tcp_good_socket => anything that doesn't use a privileged socket stops
working. (b), I freely admit I don't really understand what the code is
supposed to be doing.

Time to either debug or back uot these particular bits.

--
Matthias Urlichs  |  noris network GmbH   |   smurf@noris.de  |  ICQ: 20193661
The quote was selected randomly. Really.    |      http://www.noris.de/~smurf/