Re: NFS hangs under 2.2.6

Trond Myklebust (trond.myklebust@fys.uio.no)
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 21:06:47 +0200 (CEST)

> I looked through the nfs client sources and from what I can
> remember of the console output it is the loop in
> linux/fs/nfs/inode.c function nfs_read_inode that is endlessly
> looping.

> This is happening to our most important box on campus so we are
> no too eager to try it again. That box is now running its
> backup via remote tar.

> It happens on every backup attempt via NFS. Next time I have
> some downtime on the box I will try again and might be able to
> give you more details.

> The goto loop in nfs_read_inode seems not to have a very clean
> exit condition. Should it not fail completely after a couple of
> retries?

I'm lost. On stock linux-2.2.6, we have

static void
nfs_read_inode(struct inode * inode)
{
inode->i_blksize = inode->i_sb->s_blocksize;
inode->i_mode = 0;
inode->i_rdev = 0;
inode->i_op = NULL;
NFS_CACHEINV(inode);
NFS_ATTRTIMEO(inode) = NFS_MINATTRTIMEO(inode);
}

This is just a function for initializing the cached inode, before it
is filled in __nfs_fhget. Are you talking about the latter?

Cheers,
Trond