Re: odd messages from an ide disk

George Bonser (grep@shorelink.com)
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 09:59:48 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 28 Apr 1999, Andre M. Hedrick wrote:
> I have found that these messages with a drive making a clanking noise is
> an indicator of S.M.A.R.T failure. This was observed imperically.
> I was a Quantum drive, and I contacted on of the design engineers that I
> know. If I recall correctly, this conclusion was verified.
>
> "funky Linux driver", Please clarify and suggest a solution.
>
> Where did you get the info about forcing "PIO Mode 3"??

I spent a weekend trying to make the problem go away. Since I had seen the
problem on two different systems, two different manufacturers and two
different chipsets, I figured the only thing in common was Linux. Both
drives were brand new. I started making the system simpler and simpler,
removing things one at a time. I disabled all the BIOS features such as
readahead, etc. Used hdparms to take away all features that might improve
performance. Finally go to the motherboard BIOS setting for IO modes. It
was set to auto and was detecting PIO mode 4. I manually set it to PIO
mode 3 in the BIOS and the problems went away on both systems.

In other words, I THINK I told the controller chip on the board not to use
anything higher than PIO mode 3.

It worked for me. YMMV.

09:55:25 ~ # hdparm -i /dev/hdc

/dev/hdc:

Model=ST34321A, FwRev=3.05, SerialNo=GTK04833

corsica# hdparm -i /dev/hdb

/dev/hdb:

Model=Maxtor 84320D4, FwRev=NAVX171F, SerialNo=L40HE1EA