Re: select()/socket has problems under 2.2.x.

Kris Karas (ktk@ktk.bidmc.harvard.edu)
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 14:23:05 -0400

David Miller wrote:

> TCP's slow-start and congestion avoidance adapt to this, but dropped
> packets, and feedback induced from such events, are what puts the
> gears in motion.

Thanks, Dave. When you combine this startup adaptation with something
analogous happening at the trellis-coding level, it can be nasty. :-}

It's been awhile since I've analyzed tcpdump output, but the packet loss I
saw appeared at various points in the transmission, not just near the
beginning; perhaps some ongoing adaptation is looking for decreased
congestion? If so, it might be handy to be able to tune it, a suitable
default through /proc maybe.

> trust me when I say that we are better off without that code existing any
> more :-)

Ah ha, so that's why 2.0 worked so well! Back to 2.0.37p11. :-) OK, maybe
not...

Kris