Re: sysrq on serial consoles [was The Deadly `ping -f']

Miquel van Smoorenburg (miquels@cistron.nl)
27 Apr 1999 14:29:00 +0200

In article <cistron.19990427124853.08099@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz>,
Martin Mares <mj@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz> wrote:
>> So a question for the serial experts. How do you enter alt-sysrq on a
>> serial console? Expecially if that console could be a dumb VT100 or an
>> emulator running on Linux or even another OS entirely?
>
> Some time ago, I wrote a patch for SysRq over serial console which
>used BREAK as a SysRq key. Unfortunately, Linus has rejected it because
>of the feature freeze, but I can dig it out and port to 2.2.x.

Yes I did the same too, it was part of the original 2.0.20 serial console
patch. At <BREAK>, halt or panic a menu appeared that resembled the
Sun boot monitor a bit - "?" for help, "c" for continue, "b" for
boot, "p" to see the last panic message, "m" for memory, etc ...

I think something like that would be useful as a patch for 2.2.x

My original 2.0.x patch is still at
ftp://ftp.cistron.nl/pub/people/miquels/kernel/Old/linux-2.0.20-serial-cons-kmon.diff

Mike.

--
Indifference will certainly be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?