Re: WAY OT--Crisis...virus! Need help

Michal Jaegermann (michal@ellpspace.math.ualberta.ca)
Mon, 26 Apr 1999 19:07:39 -0600 (MDT)

Scott Manley wrote:

> I did this once... somehow Lose95 conspired to wipe my partition table
> .... I knew that my linux partition was the last one on teh disk so I
> boted a rescue disk and used hexdump /dev/hda | more to serach for the
> ext2fs superblocks...

Somehow during all this "crisis" (which has nothing to do with the kernel,
BTW) nobody mentioned that on
ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/filesystems/ there is a credible
utility for an automatic guessing of lost partition tables. It is
called gpart<something-or-another>.

I think also that Gordon Chaffee had also another one on his web page
(http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/people/chaffee/, I believe).

Michal
michal@harddata.com