Re: ATX Power off & SMP-Kernel

Akira YOSHIYAMA (yosshy@tkf.att.ne.jp)
Mon, 26 Apr 1999 01:10:39 +0900

Hi Alan,

From: alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk (Alan Cox)
Subject: Re: ATX Power off & SMP-Kernel
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 02:20:02 +0100 (BST)

> > Linus's kernel (and Alan's version too) lacks fixing apm.c for SMP. We
> > have reported it many many times and useful patches are appeared. But,
> > unfortunately, Linus and Alan weren't going to apply them. Perhaps,
> > they have no interest in it.
>
> APM isnt specified for SMP. What it does varies between the right thing
> and crunching your computer. ACPI is specified for SMP and people are now
> starting to use it.

Right. APM is not enough to use on SMP. But I want only one function
of APM, power off. Current Linux kernel can do that with the option
'apm=smp-power-off' and LINUX_REBOOT_CMD_POWER_OFF, but incomplete
for me.

> Im not keen personally to support APM on SMP when it just "happens to work
> for some people". Maybe some kind of BIOS revision check for known good
> bioses woukd be appropriate ?

I tried. My box's motherboard is ECS P6FX2-A and I updated its BIOS
to latest, but no change for it.

Regards,
A. Yoshiyama <yosshy@debian.or.jp>