Re: 2.2.6 breaks one-way cable modem (sb1000)

Steven N. Hirsch (shirsch@adelphia.net)
Mon, 26 Apr 1999 07:31:31 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 25 Apr 1999, Illuminatus Primus wrote:

> Aha!
>
> In Debian 2.1, /etc/init.d/netbase contains:
> # This is the best method: turn on Source Address Verification and get
> # spoof protection on all current and future interfaces.
> if [ -e /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/rp_filter ]; then
> echo -n "Setting up IP spoofing protection..."
> for f in /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/*/rp_filter; do
> echo 1 > $f
> done
> echo "done."
> fi
>
> I was wondering why my rp_filter was defaulting to 1 when
> Documentation/proc.txt clearly said that it defaulted to 0.
>
> However, I still don't know exactly why this only happens in 2.2.6 and
> not 2.2.0. Diffs between the two trees don't contain the text
> "rp_filter" at all. Perhaps it was a higher-up reorganization of the
> /proc hierarchy..

Thanks for digging that up. I'll file this away in my expert system
(between my ears) for the next time someone yells about it <g>.

I only use RedHat here and their init scripts leave rp_filter alone.

Steve