Re: linux-kernel-digest V1 #3701

David C. Davies (davies@maniac.ultranet.com)
Sun, 25 Apr 1999 21:46:18 -0400

Brian,

The SCSI cards have to be doing something funny with the interrupt,
because the de4x5 driver only tries to attach as SA_INTERRUPT if the
attempt with SA_SHIRQ fails. If the sharing is being done properly,
de4x5 should be able to attach to that interrupt too. It's place in the
/proc/interrupts list shows that it registered *after* the scsi cards:
have you checked that they BOTH register _just_ SA_SHIRQ or that one
registers as SA_INTERRUPT|SA_SHIRQ ?

The SA_INTERRRUPT "hack" was put in de4x5 2 years ago as a fix for
another system and I've had no complaints until now. You will note in
aic7xxx.c the same "hack" when the driver fails to attach with SA_SHIRQ
(around line 7916 in 2.2.6).

The deeper question that remains unanswered is why the interrupt appears
unsharable. You don't mention your kernel version nor de4x5 version, so
perhaps you'd let me know.

Regards,

Dave