Re: Re: Clock

Siddharth Srivastava (siddy@bhaskara.ee.iisc.ernet.in)
Mon, 26 Apr 1999 03:06:19 +0530 (IST)

On 25 Apr 1999, Livia Catarina Soares wrote:

> Dear Colleagues
>
> I think that I was not clear in the last message.
> I wrote "clock" but I mean "clock ticks".
>
> In the LINUX system one tick is equal to 10ms.
> I want to change this value to 1ms, for example.
>
> "A periodic 10 ms clock tick is problematic for supporting multimedia applications whose time requirements often require a finer granularity."
>
> Then ...
>
> Which is the right procedure ??
> Could I find some kind of problem after this modification ??
I guess you want to use them for synchronization ,ex video
sync,timestamping etc....
well one of the methods is to use the timeval structure, which will give
you a resolution in microseconds.....use gettimeofday() and schedule the
events based on the tv_usec and (maybe) the rate of the audio/video
the other mathod is to use a dummy select call...
Look up UNIX Network programming by Stevens, in the section which
describes :select: call....
hope this helps....

Once more thank you. > Best regards,