Re: The Deadly `ping -f'

Bradley M Keryan (keryan@andrew.cmu.edu)
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 01:21:29 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 23 Apr 1999 kernel@duct.dhs.org wrote:

> > Does the sysrq work when in X and I receive a lockup? (what are all the
> > keys, point me to a file/url).
>
> why does sysrq output to the console? it seems to me that a serial port
> output would be a much better idea as one would not have to worry about
> being in X... Or does it have to do with X snaging the keyboard? and
> then couldn't one patch X... Or am I off my rocker?

Use a serial console if you want serial output. But you're not off your
rocker :)

Sysrq works fine with X here, but my system's a tad strange. I have a
Matrox Millenium, and I'm using matroxfb as well as Gerd Knorr's patch to
XF86_SVGA to do accelerated Matrox graphics with fbcon. Basically, if the
system locks up in X, I press alt-sysrq-r to change the keyboard
translation from raw mode to something sane, then alt-sysrq-k to kill the
X server, then the console messages (from sysrq, for example) overwrite my
X display. I can look at registers, tasks, memory, etc. before unmounting
and rebooting. Text scrolling is a bit slow in 1024x768 32bpp though.

Brad