Re: binding a network card to a CPU?

Peter Benie (pjb1008@cam.ac.uk)
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 00:02:17 +0100

mark@hoist.nlcomm.com writes ("Re: binding a network card to a CPU?"):

> Hmm; here is Jeremy Allison's quote, describing something
> he did with an SGI he was testing:
>
> "Like Mindcraft, we also bound the interrupts from each network card
> to a processor. This allows concurrent interrupts not to cause a
> processor cache flush, which is an expensive operation."
>
> I'm not a kernel internals genius; just trying to get a feel for
> what impact these things have on system performance.

This isn't quite the same scenario, but it's similar - using an MPI
ping-pong test between two machines, I get latencies of ~140
microseconds UP kernels and ~180 microseconds with SMP kernels. I
can't remember the bandwidth figures, but they were also higher with a
UP kernel unless the amount of data being transferred was very large.

Peter