Re: [f]truncate

Mon, 19 Apr 1999 20:51:36 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 20 Apr 1999, David Luyer wrote:

> According to both Digital Unix and Solaris, the correct [XPG4] argument
> to [f]truncate is an off_t, and the correct return code is EINVAL if it
> is less than zero. The Linux documentation I have all give it as a
> size_t but I guess that's just wrong, unless someone wants to directly
> quote a standard saying it should be (when Digital Unix and Solaris
> agree on the standards, typically that means they're right, or the
> standards have changed since the releases I have installed).
>
> (sometime I'll learn to stop looking at Linux manpages...they've led
> me astray so many times.)
>
> David.

Look at the date on the man pages. Some haven't been updated since
B became C ;).

I usually just look at the latest 'C' headers.

This is from <unistd.h>

extern int truncate __P ((__const char *__file, __off_t __length));
extern int ftruncate __P ((int __fd, __off_t __length));

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.2.6 on an i686 machine (400.59 BogoMips).