Re: Linux version 2.2.5 memory management

Sat, 17 Apr 1999 22:06:42 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 18 Apr 1999, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Apr 1999, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
>
> >There is a serious problem with V2.2.5 memory management.
>
> Could you add:
>
> b_state = 0;
>
> in bforget (buffer.c)? (after or before b_count = 0). I don't know why
> it's not been included in 2.2.6. If it helps let me know (I had the
> impression to have a memleak here too before I fixed such bug).
>
> Tomorrow I'll reread your email in detail though (now it's time to sleep ;).
>
> Andrea Arcangeli

Yep! This plugs a major hole. It now makes the system usable. However
there is still a 5:1 difference in the page-count I can initially get
and eventually be left with (instead of 50:1). So there is still a
problem with getting those free pages back onto the free list.

I have everything set up to test anything else you want to try.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.2.5 on an i686 machine (400.59 BogoMips).