Re: setuids() like setgroups() ?

Miquel van Smoorenburg (miquels@cistron.nl)
16 Apr 1999 19:47:24 +0200

In article <cistron.19990416174639.A26675@lucifer.fast.no>,
Alexander Kjeldaas <astor@fast.no> wrote:
>On Fri, Apr 16, 1999 at 01:21:05PM +0200, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
>> Yes, but if you have a lot of UIDs to switch between (for apache each
>> request can potentially be for a different UID) it would mean
>> a context switch for every request. I don't know ho much that would
>> influence performance.
>
>This looks like a design problem with Apache. It should probably keep
>processes that have changed UID around for a while so that it doesn't
>have to fork() for each request that requires Apache to change UID.

Not possible. With name-based virtual hosts, you only know which
virtual host you are talking to (and thus which UID to use) after
you have read the HTTP header. Then it's too late ..

Passing the request to another thread running with the right priviliges
will then still take 1 context switch

Mike.

--
Indifference will certainly be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?