Re: Linux TCP Fixing everyones problems?

alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 15:44:30 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 15 Apr 1999, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

> Given the amount of trouble we have coping with problematic tcp
> interactions right now, I can't begin to imagine how much worse things
> would be if we had a dozen different configurable tcp behaviours in
> the stack. From a kernel maintenance point of view, this is just
> several disasters heaped on top of each other waiting to happen.

True. but perhaps we can embarrass these people into fixing *their* bugs
by logging such buggy interactions via the system's logs. Something like
printk("Barf! host a.b.c.d <insert your most hated operating system here>
sending broken packets"). If enough people notice the complaints in the
system logs, and scream... well... one can only live in hope. 8)

Cheers,
Alex

--
"A mind opened by new ideas cannot return to its original limits"

http://www.tahallah.demon.co.uk