Re: ip_rt_advice: redirect to 130.151.17.213/00 dropped

Abdul-Wahid Paterson (eesa@webstar.co.uk)
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 10:44:06 +0000 (GMT)

Hi,

On 14 Apr 1999, Eloy A. Paris wrote:

> I am getting every now and then messages like these in my system log:
>
> Apr 11 15:15:56 zeus kernel: ip_rt_advice: redirect to 130.151.17.163/00 dropped
>
> Does anyone know what they mean and what can I do to prevent them?

I get exactly the same message from my kernel. They are routing advice
packets being received by the kernel. Probably you have some sort of
router on the network that is sending out RIP packets for dynamic links.
This would mean that 130.151.17.163 is not a permentant route and the
router is notifying other routers on the network that it is dropping the
route (i.e. 130.151.17.163 has gone off-line).

I don't think that they are harmful to your set-up. If your linux box is
not set-up to do routing it will just ignore them.

Hope this helps a bit.

Abdul-Wahid