Re: Linux vs. tNT ;-) Can sb explain this?

Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.csiro.au)
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 11:08:09 +1000

Ingo Molnar writes:
> Incidentally Netcraft's April report was released yesterday, it shows that
> NT based server usage is starting to drop drastically after months of
> stagnation. [NT platform relative usage is down to 24.97%, thats a -0.66%
> drop from a month ago, pretty large considering the millions of hosts
> involved. Apache platform up +1.19% to 59.87%.] See:
>
> http://www.netcraft.com/Survey/Reports/199904/platform.html

BTW: it's not the first time their market share has dipped. It appears
to have happened in August last year too, but they recovered:
http://www.netcraft.com/Survey/Reports/current/graphs.html

What I find interesting from the graphs is that it looks like the M$
installed base is growing because of the general growth in the
industry. Their market share has been static for 6+ months and they've
had no significant growth for over a year. They're just riding the
wave.

If it was any other company, their market share would already have
declined. The interesting question is when will they start to
experience consistent declines, month after month? As a public service
I'll start taking bets. House keeps 10% ;-)

Regards,

Richard....