Re: CPU affinity

Chris Wedgwood (chris@cybernet.co.nz)
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 08:56:08 +1200

On Wed, Apr 14, 1999 at 10:41:30PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:

> Suppose you have a 2 CPU box running 4 tasks and both tasks on CPU
> 0 sleep do you move a task over or idle a CPU...

Yes... if a CPU idle then we move process onto it, but otherwise no.
In modern CPUs it doesn't take long to warm the caches so I don't
think the odd unnecessary hop is going to be all that bad... and it
will almost never happen when we have lots and lots of CPU bound taks
relative to the number of CPUs available.

(I was under the impression this is how it worked now anyhow?)

-cw