Re: caps in elf, next itteration (the hack get's bigger)

Harald Koenig (koenig@tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de)
Wed, 14 Apr 1999 15:35:00 +0200

On Apr 13, Richard Gooch wrote:

> Horst von Brand writes:
> > Richard Gooch <rgooch@atnf.csiro.au> said:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > This to me is one of the real blind-spots of some people who are
> > > pushing capabilities. There is absolutely no need to remove the
> > > privileges of the root account. By default root has all capabilities.
> >
> > The whole idea of capabilities is to get rid of all-powerful users, to
> > split the root powers among several people where _nobody_ has all
> > powers. Any scheme that keeps a root of some sort is broken.
>
> Whoever can grant caps is in effect all-powerful.

but even if you're _potentially_ all-powerful, you can't avoid logging
that you grant yourself/someone caps which you better don't...
at least the first log entry can't be avoided in a reasonable system,
and that's enough!

Harald

--
All SCSI disks will from now on                     ___       _____
be required to send an email notice                0--,|    /OOOOOOO\