Re: egcs/linux networking problem isolated

Manfred Hollstein (manfred.h@gmx.net)
Wed, 14 Apr 1999 07:30:52 +0200 (MEST)

On Wed, 14 April 1999, 00:48:34, alan@spri.levels.unisa.edu.au wrote:

> I bootstrapped egcs-2.93.17 the other evening and tried compiling
> linux-2.2.5 for i586. It was rather disconcerting to find networking
> completely broken; even "ping localhost" failed... Scanned the egcs-bugs
> archive to find this is a known problem with recent snapshots, but not
> resolved yet.

Interestingly, I'm writing this reply on a 2.2.5 compiled by egcs-2.93.17
(from CVS checked out at 1999/04/09 10:59:42 +0200), and I don't have any
problems (this is part of my .config: M586TSC, MTRR, IDEDMA, PACKET,
FIREWALL, MULTICAST, ALWAYS_DEFRAG, MASQUERADE, PPP, AIC7XXX, NCR53C8XX,
ETH, NE2K-PCI, ISDN, HISAX, AUTOFS, MINIX, EXT2, VFAT, UFS, NFS, SMBFS,
VGA/FB_VESA, MAGIC_SYSRQ):

Linux version 2.2.5 (manfred@saturn) (gcc version egcs-2.93.17 19990409 (gcc2 ss-980929 experimental)) #3 Sat Apr 10 10:57:24 MEST 1999

I do remember problems with a kernel compiled by an egcs snapshot a few
days earlier, though; when LILO tried to load the kernel, the screen
went dark and nothing else.

IIRC, Jeff Law fixed some stuff wrt. loop unrolling which seem to have
cured my problem.

manfred