Re: Speed up Linux Development Cycle By Using a Simulator

ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 05:50:54 -0700

On Fri, Apr 09, 1999 at 06:52:18PM +1200, Chris Wedgwood wrote:

> > Is anyone using a machine simulator on Linux?
> > A machine simulator simulates the behaviour of a
> > machine, including CPU ( s ) , memory, L1/2/3 caches,
> > buses, and other hardware devices. I think it helps if
> > we can run Linux under such a simulator. We can find
> > out the behaviour of application programs too.
>
> People have used this for linux-mips. Right now it's way too low to
> be useful... also, I suspect simulator won't show up timing related
> bugs and various race conditions which are probably some of the
> hardest things to get right...

SimOS features several simulators differing in performance and the degree
of CPU details simulated, so the user can make the optimal choice for his
application.

The SimOS has abandomed the use of Linux/MIPS since way back in time when
they were trying to use it, the MIPS port was still to unfinished. I
however think that their MIPS CPU simulators are still the most advanced
ones. They then switched to the Alpha.

Later on using a different simulation software Linux/MIPS has successfully
been used to verify the design of a new member of the MIPS CPU family.
Simulating CPUs at gate level running at speed of ten instructions per
second sucked big chunky rocks ...

Ralf