Re: > 13 G IDE hard disk

Dan Yocum (yocum@fnal.gov)
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 13:50:14 -0500

> > Does Linux have support for > 8G.
>
> Yes.
>
> > will fdisk in Linux partition disks > 8G.
>
> Yes.
>
> > if this is the appropriate mailing list,
>
> No.
>
> > pointer
>
> For details, try reading the Large disk HOWTO.
> (Or just don't worry - all is fine by default.)

The Large Disk HOWTO doesn't cover disks over 8.4Gb (at least not last time I
checked) - please see the following reference for complete info on getting
past the 8.4Gb limit on kernels prior to 2.0.37pre4 and 2.2.1 (I think...):

http://www-oss.fnal.gov/fss/documentation/linux/linux-faq/

See both the entries on "how to format disks > 8.4gb" and "Large Disk Drives (>
8.4Gb)"

Cheers,
Dan
Dan Yocum | Phone: (630) 840-8525
Linux/Unix System Administrator | Fax: (630) 840-6345
Computing Division OSS/FSS | email: yocum@fnal.gov .~. L
Fermi National Accelerator Lab | WWW: www-oss.fnal.gov/~yocum/ /V I
P.O. Box 500 | // \ N
Batavia, IL 60510 | "TANSTAAFL" /( ) U