Re: Limiting amount of disk cache in Linux

Rik van Riel (riel@nl.linux.org)
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 20:13:37 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 4 Apr 1999, Ted Pavlic wrote:

> Does anyone know how to limit the amount of disk cache used by Linux?

> I have a RAID that has its own disk cache, and I receive much
> better performance if I let my RAID handle the caching and have
> Linux leave it alone.

I assume you're primarily talking about write caching...

> I've experimented with /proc/sys/vm, but any changes I make there
> don't seem to have any effect on actual caching.

/proc/sys/vm/bdflush is the file you're looking for. If
you limit the dirty buffers to 1%, Linux will simply push
any dirty buffers out to disk and (since the buffer cache
is now very easy to clear away) will have a very small
amount of buffer cache.

The normal file cache you probably want to keep anyway since
that is where Linux keeps track of the data it mmap()s, that
includes executable data and libraries...
(I assume you'll do quite a bit of mmap()ing on your large
system)

Rik -- Open Source: you deserve to be in control of your data.