Re: Linux TCP Fixing everyones problems? WAS(Re: TCP push sometimes

David Lang (dlang@diginsite.com)
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 11:00:58 -0700 (PDT)

Sorry, what happens instead is that Linux is put on the network to test
it, cannot talk to the Sun box (or whatever the particular problem is) and
rather then scrapping all the Sun boxes the Linux box is pulled off the
network (and probably never given another chance).

If Linux does not work well with other buggy OS's Linux does not get
deployed. The number of Linux only shops is very small, but due to the
compatability of linux the number of linux boxes that are deployed in what
would otherwase be a Sun only or AIX only shop is large.

David Lang

On Tue, 13 Apr 1999, jamal wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Apr 1999, Dennis wrote:
>
> > At 06:36 AM 4/13/99 -0400, jamal wrote:
> > >
> > Because Linux is bigger than the tiny little world you live in. Its an OS,
> > and it
> > has to WORK in the real world, outside of classrooms and your little network.
>
> [..]
>
> > I spend half my time doing workarounds for connecting to ciscos, because
> > they do
> > almost everything wrong. You can't say "ciscos are broken so im not gonna
> > fix it".
>
> Huh? I can understand your motivation -- you are trying to sell your
> cards. What is the motivation for Linux when it gets slower because it
> is trying to fix Sun's bugs? I think there are enough Linux machines
> deployed to make an impact today. We dont need these silly fixes anymore.
> Either Sun/Apple/MS fixes these bugs or the admin who talks to their
> boxes (or owns their boxes) downloads the patches from somewhere else.
> If the admin is really serious about getting the issue resolved then they
> should contact the vendor -- maybe these vendors will react.
>
> > Its part of the public experience.
> >

> Spare me the wisdom
>
> cheers,
> jamal
>

> -

"If users are made to understand that the system administrator's job is to
make computers run, and not to make them happy, they can, in fact, be made
happy most of the time. If users are allowed to believe that the system
administrator's job is to make them happy, they can, in fact, never be made
happy."
- -Paul Evans (as quoted by Barb Dijker in "Managing Support Staff", LISA '97)