Re: TCP push sometimes missing under 2.2.5?

Jens-Uwe Mager (jum@ra.han.de)
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 00:40:12 +0200

On Mon, Apr 12, 1999 at 08:24:18AM +1200, Chris Wedgwood wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 10, 1999 at 09:03:40AM +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:
>
> > PSH is not set when a part of the write exceeds the usable window.
> > This OpenTransport behaviour is really stupid. Does this small
> > patch fix it? It adds some cycles to a fast path, but I see no
> > better way.
>
> Is this really necessary (as you point out, it adds some cycles to
> the fast path)? Sooner or later Apple will have to fix this...

It is just one more variable and the assignment and one more test for this
variable, is that so bad?

Even if Apple fixes that (unlikely, given that PUSH is part of the TCP
protocol), it will probably take a long time until all the Macs are
upgraded, if they upgrade at all. May be the problem disappears in MacOS
X general release iff they keep the current MacOS X server BSD based
TCP stack which ignores PUSH on the input side.

--
Jens-Uwe Mager	<pgp-mailto:62CFDB25>