Re: Please!! Help me to help us to use WinModems in Linux

Benjamin C.R. LaHaise (blah@kvack.org)
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 21:10:42 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

> The kernel already has code to handle AT commands, as part of the
> modem emulation included with the ISDN drivers. You can share it,
> to avoid bloat and bugs. (there were buffer overflows at one time)

Yeap, and this is an example of code that should be removed from the
kernel and put into a daemon (yes I'm volunteering, just as soon as I have
the time to do it).

> You might want to look at the PC speaker driver. It has some odd code
> that gets the job done, though it messes up the clock AFAIK.

People interested in modems should pick up a textbook on digital signal
processing (look at the reading materials for graduate courses in
electrical engineering). I'm in the middle of the learning curve on the
way to writing a modem, and it's a hell of a lot easier that I thought it
was -- hint: everything in signal processing surrounds multiply
accumulate. Fourier transforms, bandpass filters, equalizers... My jaw
is still dropping! =)

-ben