Re: Please!! Help me to help us to use WinModems in Linux

Brian Gerst (bgerst@quark.vpplus.com)
Fri, 09 Apr 1999 09:32:27 -0400

Riley Williams wrote:
> Hi Tracy.
> > I think we all know that winmodems suck.
> Nodz...

They are essentially overglorified sound cards with a telco interface.

> Personally, I'd prefer to see the winmodem drivers appear as userland
> daemons with the absolute minimum of kernel code included to allow
> them to be used. Reasons, in no particular order, include:
>
> 1. Less kernel bloat. The tool will only be in memory when it's
> actually in use, whereas kernel code is normally a permanent
> feature of the memory map.
>
> 2. Libraries. Userland tools can make full use of the standard
> libraries such as libc which are not available to kernel code.
>
> 3. Easier development. In my experience, it's much easier to debug
> userland stuff than kernel code.

4. MMX, KNI, 3DNow! access.

It would essentially be the same type of app as an mp3 player, except
it's bidirectional. If run with real-time priority it could work.

--

Brian Gerst