Re: 2.2.x and (old) Soundblaster MIDI support

Harvey J. Stein (hjstein@bfr.co.il)
09 Apr 1999 12:14:04 +0300

Gary Lawrence Murphy <garym@canada.com> writes:

> Here's a curio: I've installed 2.2.5 on an old 486 with one
> of the early 16-bit soundblasters and while the sound works
> perfectly, and /proc/sound shows everything normal, MIDI has
> ceased to function.
>
> More accurately, playmidi just loads and exists without any
> report of errors or any sound. The only error I can raise is
> an invalid device message while installing MIDI patches through
> Rosegarden.

I had a similar problem. I can't remember now if it occurred when I
upgraded to 2.2.5 or to RH5.2, but stracing playmidi showed it trying
to open /etc/std.sb. locate found it in /etc/midi. Copying the files
(four of them - drums.o3, drums.sb, std.o3, and std.sb) to /etc fixed
it.

--
Harvey J. Stein
BFM Financial Research