Re: Please!! Help me to help us to use WinModems in Linux

Dustin Marquess (jailbird@alcatraz.fdf.net)
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 22:48:11 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 8 Apr 1999, Richard Reynolds wrote:

> A brief Introduction
> I am a Windoze user, programmer, system administrator. compitent in C/C++,
> Delphi, Visual Basic and more. I also am a little more than a newbe to linux
> with several computers running Windows version x and Linux mostlly using
> Lucent Viking modems.
>
> I have been trying to make these work in linux and have been reading all of
> the topics from several mailing lists with very little help until I found
> someone saying that this modem was all software driven (duh I knew that) and
> that the drivers were somekind of seceret (did not know that can't even see
> how, sence i found them?) and that they were not available. Well as of now i
> have the technology (drivers source code) to make the drivers required to
> run my modem. I can recreate the drivers for windozs make new ones for DOS
> (also not "supported" by the vendor) but i have no ability to program in
> Linux and don't even know where to start. The drivers would need to do 3
> major things
[SNIP]

As a side note. The various software-based modems (it seems
like it's almost impossible to buy a decent hardware-based modem
nowadays!) are unreliable pieces of crap. Most of them require about
33% of a P5/133 CPU just to run (under Windows).

-Dustin