Re: resolution..

pwhiting@fury.ittc.ukans.edu
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 19:38:53 -0500

check out the utime patch:

http://hegel.ittc.ukans.edu/projects/utime/

pete

a cut from the document:

Linux, as well as most other operating systems maintain a
sense of time using a periodic interrupt from a timer chip,
which is known as the "heartbeat" of the system. The
heartbeat of the Linux kernel is 10 ms for the i386 and 1ms
for the DEC Alpha. In our efforts to impart real-time
characteristics to the Linux kernel, such a coarse-grained
timing mechanism was found to be insufficient.

Since we have concentrated on implementing UTIME for the
i386, the rest of this document uses terms that are specific
to the i386.

One of the ways to increase the temporal granularity of
Linux would be to program the timer chip of the PC to
interrupt the kernel at higher frequencies. This is not an
acceptable solution as the overhead increase due to this is
tremendous. For example, if we program the timer chip to
interrupt the CPU at 40 micro-sec, the interrupt processing
cost is so high there is no time left for any other
computation. So, basically, we need to program the timer
chip to generate interrupts only when there is some
scheduled work that needs to be accomplished. This is what
we have achieved.