Re: [patch] arca-vm-2.2.5

Chuck Lever (cel@monkey.org)
Wed, 7 Apr 1999 11:45:01 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 6 Apr 1999, Simon Kirby wrote:
> I wrote some sysreq extensions that printk bucket counts for the hash
> tables a while back. Want me to dig them up? (I since run my kernels
> with hash tables 4x-16x as large -- not sure how much it helps, though.)
> I noticed what sct was talking about where when it hits swap, things tend
> to all go into buckets close together -- I saw hundreds of things linked
> to the same buckets at one point after I made my machine hit swap a bit.
>
> I implemented inode, dentry, and page hash dumping, but I could stick in
> buffers too.

i have some rough patches for instrumenting the buffer and page hashes. we
should compare notes. :) i like andrea's idea of adding some new files
in /proc for this, at least controlled by a kernel build option; but right
now the output appears as part of alt-SysRq-M.

- Chuck Lever

--
corporate:	<chuckl@netscape.com>
personal:	<chucklever@netscape.net> or <cel@monkey.org>