Re: System is too big

Brian Gerst (bgerst@quark.vpplus.com)
Wed, 07 Apr 1999 02:17:30 -0400

Cameron Simpson wrote:
> On 7 Apr 1999, in message <Pine.LNX.3.95.990406154453.2608A-100000@chaos.analogic.com>
> | make bzImage
>
> Everyone says this, and I know it works (had to figure it out myself
> some months ago) but I'd like to know: bzip2 is a better compression;
> if it's just the better compression ratio then people could be bitten
> by this again in a while, with no fallback. If, on the other hand, the
> bzImage is a fundamentally different storage layout without this
> (undocumented?) size limit, why make a zImage at all these days?

make bzImage does not use bzip2 compression. It is a "big zImage". It
changes some things so that the kernel image can be loaded directly into
extended memory. The reason there is a size limitation on a zImage is
that is is loaded into conventional memory (first 640k), since the
processor is still in real mode while the kernel is loaded.

--

Brian Gerst