Re: Vesafb & less on console Bug ?

Ian Eure (ieure@crosssound.narrows.com)
Tue, 06 Apr 1999 09:28:56 -0700

Dietmar Kling wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Kernel 2.2.x - 2.2.5 and vesafb on console (This did work under
> 2.1.125 as far as I can remember )
>
> When I display a Textfile with less (version 332) larger than
> screensize
> and hit the key 'b' in less (Hint: hit space to scroll down some pages)
> less tries to scroll back the text. This takes so much cpu-power that
> sound
> (mpg123) stops until the 50 lines are scrolled and it needs severals
> seconds to scroll the lines on
> my 350 AMD !!. Every task on the machine seems to stop working as long
> as
> the lines are scrolled back.
>
> I believe this is a bug.

No, this is normal behavior. Vesafb uses _none_ of the hardware
accelleration your video card may or may not support. Since your CPU has
to move a lot of data (for me, 1024x768x16bpp == ~1.6mb for one screen)
around in memory, other CPU-intenstive programs (read: mp3 players) will
suffer.

The only reason to use Vesafb is if your video card is not yet supported
by your X server. If you have a supported video card, I suggest that you
use a high-res textmode and XFree.

However.... If your system supports MTRRs, this can give you a huge
speed boost, as is the case with my PII-450 and a S3 Trio3D card.

| Ian Eure
<ieure@crosssound.narrows.com>                                 |
| Network Administrator, Cross Sound Appraisal
Company                    |

| "A conclusion is simply the place where someone got tired of
thinking." |