Re: kernel freezes without message when extracting ATAPI CD audio into FAT32 and consuming CPU

thoth@purplefrog.com
Tue, 06 Apr 1999 09:05:17 -0400

Drizzt <terron@arrakis.es> ,in message <19990406135827.A773@arrakis.es>, wrote:

> Decía Tom Holroyd:
> > On Thu, 1 Apr 1999 thoth@purplefrog.com wrote:
> >
> > In the meantime please consider VFAT and MSDOS as broken. They WILL fail
> > under load in a messy way.

> I have been using my vfat partition to make CD images. I haven't seen any
> corrupted data. How I can verify is there is a problem?. When I boot Win'94 I
> haven't any problems :?. If I could to test something e-mail me.

The last 3 times I did cdda2wav, I crashed it. The first one I was also
running bladeenc. The next two it was just cdda2wav alone while I watched
'toons. My CD and HD are on different IDE controllers.

I'd say do something that isn't I/O bound (which isn't hard on IDE drives
since they eat CPU).

--
Bob Forsman                                   thoth@gainesville.fl.us
           http://www.gainesville.fl.us/~thoth/