Re: [OFFTOPIC] true/false

G. Sumner Hayes (sjhalpar@yahoo.com)
Mon, 05 Apr 1999 18:49:38 -0400

Khimenko Victor <khim@sch57.msk.ru> wrote:
> It can be called BUG ONLY if you can show some POSIX specification
> where said that true(1) and false(1) must ignore any arguments. Till
> not shown otherwise it's FEATURE. You can like or dislike this FEATURE
> but you can not clain that it's BUG !

I don't have POSIX, but the Single Unix Specification v2 says:

NAME
false - return false value
SYNOPSIS
false
DESCRIPTION
The false utility will return with a non-zero exit code.
OPTIONS
None.
OPERANDS
None.
[SNIP]
STDOUT
Not used.
STDERR
None.
EXIT STATUS
The false utility always will exit with a value other than zero.

I think "always will exit with a value other than zero" and
"STDOUT Not used" are fairly unambiguous. Similar things are said
about true -- stdout and stderr unused, no options allowed.

--Sumner