Re: /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Changes

Chris Ricker (kaboom@gatech.edu)
Mon, 5 Apr 1999 07:58:17 -0600 (MDT)

On Mon, 5 Apr 1999, Gerard Roudier wrote:

> I also donnot want to use RPM to unpack linux general material and will
> even prefer any of the formats you stated as absurd for that.
>
> What hurts me are people like you that called 'standard' things that are
> not. A standard must be approved and its evolutions must be discussed and
> not shoe-horned by a single company or person. The RPM format is, for now,
> as standard as the 'M$ Word format for docs' for example, or as the
> Linux kernel at places it does not conform to any standard.

Look. Two people (Brandon and I) have now told you how to read rpms without
rpm software. They're just .cpio files with a header. That's it. Nothing
complicated, nothing fancy, nothing you cannot open on any Unix machine in
the world. Or are you trying to claim that cpio is non-standard? Unlike
binhex4, I can actually open cpio on every Unix machine I admin.

Now, can we *please* kill this thread? It has absolutely nothing to do with
kernel development, and I'm sick enough of RMS's asinine flamewar already
without having to put up with this one as well. If you want to argue with
me privately, then do so, but keep it off the list.

<Posting to linux-kernel since I got about 8 of these from various people in
my mailbox. This is my last statement on the subject on linux-kernel.>

later,
chris

--
Chris Ricker                                               kaboom@gatech.edu