Re: /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Changes

Alex Buell (alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk)
Mon, 5 Apr 1999 11:27:03 +0100 (GMT)

On Sun, 4 Apr 1999, Chris Ricker wrote:

> Furthermore, don't you think you're being just a tad bit petulant?
> It's in RPM because the author (Stephen Tweedie, I think) chose to do
> it that way. "He who writes the code gets to make the rules." It's
> not like he posted it in rot-13, uuencoded, and then binhex4 or
> something absurd like that--rpm is a fairly standard Linux file
> format, particularly given that he's a RH employee.

I have to grumble about things like this because there are many of us who
don't use RedHat and wouldn't know what RPM is or even *WANT* to use it!

Furthermore, essential files that are meant to be part of Linux shouldn't
be distributed in a format proprietary to RedHat. It's fine if they use
RPM on their distributions but DO NOT LOCK the rest of us OUT! I have a
number of bitches about RedHat too but this isn't the place or the time
for these (take it to slashdot =)

> Hit ftp.cistron.nl/pub/people/mvw/ for the current package. I think it's up
> to 1.70, but 1.65 is really all you need, and only then if you're doing
> quotas over knfs. Otherwise, 1.55 is fine (either the unpatched if you
> don't have quotas for any users over 4 gig, or patched if you do).
> However, I think 1.70 fixes the problems that were discussed on bugtraq a
> while ago, so it might be worth getting for that reason as well. It's the
> version I use, anyway.

Nope, 1.70 is still broken it will not compile on 2.2.5 with glibc-2.1 due
to a number of definitions being used (such as MNTOPT_NOQUOTA etc).

Cheers,
Alex

--
 /\_/\  Legalise cannabis now!