Re: GNU/Linux

Stuart Lynne (sl@gateway.fireplug.net)
4 Apr 1999 08:10:23 GMT

In article <199904031959.OAA07836@psilocin.gnu.org>,
Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:
> AFAIK, Linux is the *first* OS that started out as a kernel only. All
> of the userland was added.
>
>What you're calling "userland" is practically the whole operating
>system--and it happens to be the GNU operating system. Linux, the

No, Linux the Kernel *is* Linux the operating system. The only GNU
operating system is HURD.

If you like we could agree that a GNU/Linux System is one that includes
GNU utilities running on a Linux Operating System.

I doubt if people will actually start saying that instead of just Linux or
RedHat or Debian or... , but at least it is a more correct description
than calling a distribution an operating system.

--
Stuart Lynne <sl@fireplug.net>      604-461-7532      <http://edge.fireplug.net>
PGP Fingerprint: 28 E2 A0 15 99 62 9A 00  88 EC A3 EE 2D 1C 15 68