Re: Advantages of zImage vs. bzImage for 2.2.x kernel?

H. Peter Anvin (hpa@transmeta.com)
3 Apr 1999 12:48:51 GMT

Followup to: <ABl_P0tOD9@khim.sch57.msk.ru>
By author: "Khimenko Victor" <khim@sch57.msk.ru>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> In <199903301554.KAA13714@indy3.indy.net> Steve Snyder (ssnyder@indy.net) wrote:
> > Given that I can boot the v2.2.x kernel from either a zImage or bzImage
> > file, is there an advantage of one format over the other? Does one format
> > use less RAM and/or boot faster?
>
> AFAIK zImage boots few microseconds faster but it's not the point. THE point
> is that some BIOS/loader combinations just can not handle bzImage. After
> bootstrapping they are identical...

At least using SYSLINUX, bzImage boots faster.

-hpa

--
"The user's computer downloads the ActiveX code and simulates a 'Blue
Screen' crash, a generally benign event most users are familiar with