Re: Subject: Re: ext3 to include capabilities?

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Sat, 3 Apr 1999 13:36:10 +0200 (MEST)

Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
> Rogier Wolff writes:
> > Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
>
> >> Oh my, do we have a bug? The sticky bit is normally for root only.
> >> Here is Digital UNIX:
> >
> > That is because the sticky bit is "old fashioned". It used to be used
> > On directories, a second meaning was assigned for this bit. This is
> > not privileged.
>
> I know what it was and is used for. I think we have a bug.
> As you can see below, Digital UNIX _does_ let a normal user
> set the sticky bit on a directory:

So? Linux doesn't interpret the bit in a way that should make
it privileged, so why make the setting of that bit privileged?

So, Linux and Digital allow different things. On linux, as a normal
user, you get to store one (1) extra bit of information on every
file. Wow!

Roger.

------ Microsoft SELLS you Windows, Linux GIVES you the whole house ------