Re: Flash BIOS under linux

Dave Jones. (djones2@glam.ac.uk)
Thu, 1 Apr 1999 16:31:41 +0000 ( )

On Thu, 1 Apr 1999, David Woodhouse wrote:

> > Maybe some BIOSes store that in their DMI area ?
> That's also possible, but quite unlikely given Alan's comments in his diary
> about the accuracy of DMI information.

Yeah, I tried the code Alan wrote myself. It tends to vary between
systems. I've tried it on two different boxes, with very similar
motherboards. One produced lots of stuff that made interesting reading,
the other produced nonsense. Whether or not the info can be trusted seems
to be down to individual manufacturers.

If a system were to be implemented which read this area for anything
critical, then a blacklist of bad boards would also need to be added,
as subsequent code could do /very/ strange things :)

regards,

d.