Re: Flash BIOS under linux

Dave Jones. (djones2@glam.ac.uk)
Thu, 1 Apr 1999 16:28:32 +0000 ( )

On Thu, 1 Apr 1999, Matthew Kirkwood wrote:

> > I remember some speculation of a /proc/bios, is this what you're thinking
> > of ? Did anything come of this ?
> /dev/bios, it would seem. Doesn't seem to have been updates for a while,
> though..

Shame, as it looks quite promising. I've just mailed the author to see if
it's still maintained. This could be a useful feature in the future if it
supported more hardware.

I'm going to try and get VIA VP3 support added if necessary
(I've not even compiled this yet, and don't know if it has any kind
of generic fallback mode to access stuff) If other people added their
hardware too, it could become reality quite quickly.

Bit sceptical about testing the flash WRITE part though :)
Anyone got a spare VP3 motherboard they don't particularly want ?!

Though I understand some of them dont erase the entire flash,
and keep a part, that has the ability to boot a floppy and reflash,
but thats it. Anyone ever had to fall back on this ?
I'd hate to be the first to try it out !

regards,

d.