Re: Flash BIOS under linux

Dave Jones. (djones2@glam.ac.uk)
Thu, 1 Apr 1999 16:03:02 +0000 ( )

On Thu, 1 Apr 1999, Matthew Kirkwood wrote:

> > > Does anyone know if there is a kernel or user space facility
> > > that allows one to flash the BIOS under linux? If such a thing
> > > exists where would I get it?
> > To the best of my knowledge this doesn't exist.
> Yes it does. It's not standard, but someone produced a patch maybe 9
> months ago which provided a /dev/flash which could be dd'ed to and from
> to flash new BIOS images.

Any idea who/where that was ?
I remember some speculation of a /proc/bios, is this what you're thinking
of ? Did anything come of this ?

> > And as some BIOS manufacturers are very prohibitive about their
> > technology, it's unlikely that a generic tool will ever happen.
> > You /may/ convince some vendors to port to Linux, but I can't see
> > that happening.
> Indeed. I believe that the aforementioned patch only supported relatively
> traditional Intel chipset boards...

What may be possible is to dig out the datasheets of the various EEPROMs,
and add detection/support for them. Some vendors have released encrypted
BIOSes which only their programmers will decode, but I've seen decoders
for quite a few of them (Some with source).
I've definatly seen an Ami BIOS decoder.
Is this a Vendor specific thing, or do all Ami BIOSes ship encrypted ?

d.