Re: buffer cache behavior on memory-constrained systems (fwd)

Chuck Lever (cel@monkey.org)
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 23:53:53 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 31 Mar 1999, Ricardo Galli Granada wrote:
> > >also, i think the page LRU approach is a clever way to solve the buffer
> > >reclamation problem. do you know how close to optimal (in terms of
> > >keeping the most used buffers in memory, and expelling the least used
> > >ones) it is?
> >
> > It should be optimal according to my instinct, but I didn't do math on
> > it...
>
> According to empirical results (I doubt there is any analytic
> demonstration) that you can find in any good OS book, LRU is the
> algorithm which is most closed the OPT algorithm (select the page wich
> will be used more far away in the future) for page replacement.

the reason i asked "how optimal" is because the LRU algorithm Andrea added
was for *pages*, not for buffers. i'm curious how close to LRU buffer
replacement we can get with LRU *page* replacement.

- Chuck Lever

--
corporate:	<chuckl@netscape.com>
personal:	<chucklever@netscape.net> or <cel@monkey.org>