Re: [OFFTOPIC]: MS Porting Office to Linux?

Alan Curry (pacman-kernel@cqc.com)
Sun, 14 Mar 1999 15:59:11 -0500 (EST)

Alex Buell writes the following:
>Actually I was wrong. SO consists of one big core module and a number of
>private libraries (23 of them!). This is a big win when it comes to
>multi-user Linux systems

I don't wish to make any political statement about the proprietary programs
being discussed in this thread, but...

Aren't executables shared between multiple invocations in the exact same way
as shared libraries anyway? (text segment should be shared for sure, and data
segment maybe copy-on-write?) So is there really a difference between a 1K
program that loads a 100M shared lib (which no other programs use) and a 100M
statically-linked program? Either way, if you run two instances of the
program, they should be sharing lots of pages.

The memory and disk space savings of shared libs come from more than one
program loading the same library, and what you described is the opposite.

It's also possible I've misunderstood everything.

--
Alan Curry