Re: Weird CDROM behavior?

Jens Axboe (axboe@image.dk)
Sun, 14 Mar 1999 17:11:51 +0100

On Thu, Mar 11 1999, Michael K Vance wrote:
> First: vanilla IDE CDROM built into kernel, fs modules, except for ext2 of
> course.
>
> Pleasant bit of fun today. Mount CD-ROM, try to umount several times and get
> "device busy", finally kill lingering WINE processes that were attached to the
> directory, and umount, apparently fine. Then try to eject, get all sorts of
> fun errors like this:

I have tried hard to reproduce this without any luck. Can you? I'd
like to hear about it.

> Mar 11 23:23:33 localhost kernel: ATAPI device hdc:
> Mar 11 23:23:33 localhost kernel: Error: Not ready -- (Sense key=0x02)
> Mar 11 23:23:33 localhost kernel: Medium removal prevented -- (asc=0x53,
> ascq=
> 0x02)
> Mar 11 23:23:33 localhost kernel: The failed "Start Stop Unit" packet
> command
> was:
> Mar 11 23:23:33 localhost kernel: "1b 00 00 00 03 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 "

This means the driver was trying to close the tray while locked. Of course
this doesn't make sense, and Some ATAPI drives will complain about this.

> Failing hardware on my part, or an insidious plot by the kernel?

Good question. I can't see why this would happen, but I also don't
think your hardware is failing. Is it reproducable?

--
*  Jens Axboe <axboe@image.dk>
*  Linux CD-ROM Maintainer