Re: [OFFTOPIC]: MS Porting Office to Linux?

Alex Belits (abelits@phobos.illtel.denver.co.us)
Sun, 14 Mar 1999 05:43:47 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 14 Mar 1999, Mikulas Patocka wrote:

> So what do you think the MS Office instaler for linux will do? Installers
> are run with root privileges, so they can do what they want. It will
> surelly create a lot of waste over the whole filesystem, modify existing
> config files so that some programs stop to work and overwrite the
> libraries in /lib and /usr/lib with Microsoft(r) versions.
>
> They can't stop linux working immediatelly after installation of MS
> Office, but I_am_sure, that the installation will make linux or some linux
> programs unstable and unusable.

If they will sabotage OS that isn't their, it will be much more serious
charge in court than what they have now. And they will have hard time
explaining why they couldn't add their version of some library or utility
without removing existing ones -- it's not Windows where DLLs replacement
is the only way to do changes/upgrades just because designers were
genuinely dumb when they made DLLs support.

And why in the world anyone will run anything written by Microsoft as
root? If some [skipped] even will make such a thing that has to be root
to install, won't it will take more than two days for someone else to
write a wrapper that makes chrooted environment where installer will
be run as some normal user, but all environment will lie to him that
he is root?

--
Alex

---------------------------------------------------------------------- Excellent.. now give users the option to cut your hair you hippie! -- Anonymous Coward